- 5 lbs. Hat Brand Beef shanks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, left whole, remove skins
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 5 anchovies
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Season shanks with salt and pepper and then brown on both sides. Repeat until all shanks are browned.
- Add browned shanks to roasting pan or slow cooker.
- In frying pan, saute whole garlic, chopped onion and salt until onion is translucent. Pour over shanks.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, and onions on top of shanks.
- Deglaze frying pan with beef broth, tomato paste and anchovies. Scrape bottom to loosen up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Pour over shanks. Sprinkle with thyme and rosemary.
- Cook in the oven with lid on at 300 degrees F for approx. 5 hours or in slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving, skim off any fat. Serve over mashed potatoes.
Back to Favorite Family Recipes