Erin's Osso Buco
2 Hat Brand Beef osso buco shanks (about 1 lb each)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup marsala wine
2 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees on convection setting or 300 degrees non-convection.
2. Season both sides of the beef shanks with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 Tablespoons of canola over high heat in a wide dutch oven.
4. Sear shanks for 2-3 minutes per side, remove and set aside.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add veggies. Sauté for about 10 minutes and add tomato paste.
6. Caramelize paste by stirring for about 2 minutes until rusty in color.
7. Add marsala wine and simmer until almost evaporated.
8. Add beef broth, bay leaves and shanks. Bring to a simmer and cover with a heavy lid.
9. Transfer to oven and braise until very tender, about 3 hours.
10. Remove shanks from the sauce, remove bones and excess fat or membrane surrounding the meat. Reserve bone marrow for the sauce.
11. Strain liquid and add reserved marrow to sauce. Return to a gentle simmer and add meat back into the sauce.
12. Serve over risotto and top with parsley-lemon gremolata.
Follow Erin on Instagram for more delicious food content and recipes!