Slow Roasted Beef Stew
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. HBB stew meat or 2 lbs HBB Osso buco (or a combination of stew meat and Osso buco)
4 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Optional: fresh sprig of thyme & rosemary
salt & pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
2 c water or beef broth (I usually use water)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup frozen peas
Directions1. In a large pot, brown the meat in olive oil until browned on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. Add onions, celery, garlic, salt/pepper, and bay leaf. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Add meat back in. Cover and let simmer for approximately 4 hours or until meat is very tender. You could also put it in the crockpot at this point. Add the carrots for the last hour of cooking to avoid overcooking them. You could also add more water or beef broth when adding the carrots if it needs more liquid.
4. Mix the softened butter and flour in a bowl until well combined.
5. Once meat is tender, remove the bay leaf and the bones, if using osso buco. Be sure to push any bone marrow out of the bones and into the stew (it’s so good!). Shred or chop any osso buco meat into smaller pieces if necessary.
6. Add the butter/flour mixture and peas. Stir to combine and allow gravy to thicken. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve over mashed potatoes. Serve with homemade rolls and your favorite dessert. Enjoy!!
Happy Cooking!! 🧑🍳