The Best Ever Tri-Tip
1. Mix the following ingredients to create the Santa Maria rub from @savorthebest:
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Aleppo chili flakes
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon espresso coffee
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2. Cover your Tri-Tip thoroughly with the rub and pat to set in. Refrigerate uncovered on a rack for about an hour.
3. Preheat your smoker or oven to 225°F . We prefer to use our smoker.
When ready, put Tri-Tip in and cook until 118°F internal temp. This will probably take around an hour and a half but monitor your temp carefully so you don’t overcook. Cook longer if you prefer yours cooked more than medium rare.
4. Pull your Tri-Tip out and rest for 20-30 minutes. Preheat your skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil and sear all sides. This won’t take long, so make sure to turn frequently.
5. Rest another 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.